Section of tree trunk showing the epitaph of Father Receveur
Photo taken by Mr Paul Chamberlain December 1906 on the occasion of the completion of the new iron railing erected to order of French Government’ – Jetty in background
Officers and men of the French Warship ‘Rhin’ attending Mass near the grave of Father Receveur in September 1879.
Daily Telegraph April 30 1933, S.J. Hood Photographer: Mr Maher (Banner) with Mrs C. Cosgrove and Joyce Fitzpatrick grandchild
Daily Telegraph April 30 1933, S.J. Hood Photographer: Father Edmund Bond
Daily Telegraph April 30 1933, S.J. Hood Photographer: Grave and Cable Station
Daily Telegraph April 30 1933, S.J. Hood Photographer: looking north along Frenchman’s Bay
30/4/1933: with (read link) Bunnerong Power Station in background.
30/4/1933: View of Botany Bay around to Banksmeadow.
30 April 1933. Shops along Anzac Parade: In another picture three boys are seen seated on top of this building. One of them touched an electric wire and was thrown back on the roof with a resounding thud. A priest and doctor were called. When they saw the priest giving absolution the crowd immediately cried out ‘he’s dead’, but the boy recovered and the proceedings continued.
Scan of image of sketch/drawing of a ‘Plan, shewing [sic] 2 areas to be transferred to the French Government’ [La Perouse Monument & Le Receveur’s Grave]. Note on reverse reads; ‘From Plan Dept of Lands, 1918′
Scan of image of sketch with the following note on the bottom:
A Plan of the Two allotments of Ground, on the North Shore of Botany Bay, released by His Excellency Sir Thomas Brisbane KCB etc etc etc to Monsr Le Baron De Bougainville Commanding His Most Christian Majesty’s Ship Thetis, for the purpose of erecting Monuments to the Memory of Count De La Perouse & Father Le Receveur. J Oxley Sgt. Sept 8th 1825’.
Daily Mirror 21 July 1917, Celebrations at Laperouse Monument
‘Inscription on Le Receveur’s grave, Botany Bay (Government Printer 1918)’
‘Grave of the Abbé Le Receveur, Botany Bay July 1917’
Receveur’s grave showing residential quarters of the Eastern Extension Cable Station. Taken December 1906 on occasion of completion of new iron railing by Mr Paul Chanley
Note on reverse reads: ‘La Perouse Monument Botany Bay, Feb 1876 Govt Printer’
Image from The Provincial Chronicle Volume 7 January 1853, p. 85
Altar tomb of Father Louis Receveur, OFM [sic] reproduced from a painting of Francis C Terry. Note epitaph of Duperrey on tree-trunk.
IMAGES ABOVE FROM THE RECEVEUR COLLECTION OF THE (LINK) FRANCISCAN PROVINCE ARCHIVES
Altar Stone from La Boussole – Bicentennary Gift 1988 sent to Musee de Marine 2008 where it remains. (Photo from Greg Bond) This item was recovered by Reece Discombe in Vanikoro. Reece Discombe did his stint in the New Zealand Army and after the war, started his own marine engineering business in Auckland, repairing war damaged ships. He went into war salvage, and came to the New Hebrides in 1947 with wife Jean. After extensive salvage work, he established an engineering company in Port Vila. A skilled and ‘utterly fearless’ diver with a penchant for adventure, Reece re-discovered the ships of the missing French explorer La Perouse. He found the Astrolabe off the island of Vanikoro in 1958, and then in 1962 discovered La Perouse’s second vessel Boussole, lost in 1788. For these achievements he was made an Officer of France’s National Order of Merit, the civilian equivalent of the Legion Of Honour. In 1972 he was awarded the British Red Cross Silver Medal for his services. In 1978 he was ‘gonged’ once again, this time with the Queen’s Jubilee Medal; on the eve of Vanuatu independence he received the Resident Comissioner’s medal for services to the country, and an OBE was conferred in the 1980 Queens Birthday Honours. Reece died in 2007.